    SubjectRe: PATCH: Enable IP PNP for 2.4.4-ac8

    Eric W. Biederman writes:
    > Mostly I like the situation where I can compile it in and turn it on
    > when I need it, instead of having to do thing differently if it is
    > compiled in or not.
    > ip=on is all it really takes.

    This is the main reason I like the current 2.4.x behavior.

    I hate config options that change how the core of the kernel
    boot makes decisions. Things like "where is root", "what is
    my network address or where do I get that information" have
    no reasonable default. This is why the command line args
    are there.

    If you want a kernel which automatically does "foo", you have
    several options already by which to do this:

    1) Many platforms allow you to store a boot comand line
    in the firmware (Sparc, several MIPS, PPC, etc.)

    2) Failing #1, you can add a default prefix/postfix to the
    kernel command line at build time if you wish, just add
    some simple variable to the toplevel Makefile and have
    init/main.c frob this thing onto the kernel command
    line string after initially fetching it.

    Really, H. J., you are asking for a static command line feature.
    That's cool, so add it :-)

    David S. Miller

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:17    [W:0.021 / U:8.332 seconds]