    SubjectLVM 1.0 release decision

    As most of you probably know, we've got criticism a couple of weeks ago about
    our Linux kernel patch policy causing the LVM vanilla kernel code to differ
    from the one we release directly.

    In order to avoid this difference we provide smaller patches more often now.
    We have started already with a subset of about 50 necessary patches.

    Even though we get kind support from Alan Cox to get those QAed and integrated,
    the pure amount of patches will take at least a couple of weeks to make it in.

    This leads to the dilemma, that trying to avoid further differences between
    our LVM releases and the stock kernel code would force us into postponing
    the pending LVM 1.0 release accordingly which OTOH is incovenient for the LVM
    user base.

    In regard to this situation we'ld like to know about your oppinion on
    the following request:
    is it acceptable to release 1.0 soon *before* all patches to reach the 1.0 code
    status are in vanilla (presumed that we provide them with our release as we
    always did before)?

    We'll gather your answers for some days and will send the conclusion
    to the lists.

    Thanks for your support!

    Heinz -- The LVM Guy --

    Heinz Mauelshagen Sistina Software Inc.
    Senior Consultant/Developer Am Sonnenhang 11
    56242 Marienrachdorf
    Germany +49 2626 141200
    FAX 924446

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:52    [W:0.021 / U:43.004 seconds]