SubjectRe: Source code compatibility in Stable series????
Andi Kleen wrote:
> On Fri, May 11, 2001 at 12:21:59PM +0000, Petr Vandrovec wrote:
> > When I was updating VMware's vmnet, I decided to use
> >
> > #ifdef skb_shinfo
> Yes I forgot that RedHat already shipped it :-(
> > This gives you maximal backward compatibility, as all public zerocopy
> > patches contain this macro. Only thing is that Dave has to remember
> > that when he turns skb_shinfo into inline function, an identity #define have
> > to be added.
> No such guarantee for binary only software ;)

Right. I therefore refuse to maintain binary modules for my
clients. This usually convinces them to release source code.

But it's always been said that source code compatiblity would be
maintained. I'm a bit pissed that people just go about changing public
source-level interfaces.

** ** ** +31-15-2137555 **
* There are old pilots, and there are bold pilots.
* There are also old, bald pilots.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:52    [W:0.062 / U:1.180 seconds]