SubjectRe: Not a typewriter
>I disagree.  "Not a typewriter" is part of Unix tradition, and ought to be
>retained as a historical reference. It's also an opportunity for "the
>uninitiated" to learn a little more and move a little closer to becoming "the
>initiated."

Heaven help us when tradition is more important than clarity.

Typewriter has always been wrong. I'd agree that "Not a teletypewriter" would
suffice.

On the other hand "Inappropriate ioctl for device" is also not very clear.

I'd like to see "Not a serial or character device" or "Not a serial device" if
that's more appropriate. Something like that...