    SubjectSMP races in proc with thread_struct
    Perhaps this is old news...but...

    I can easily create a race when reading /proc/<pid>/stat
    (fs/proc/{base.c,array.c}) where a rapidly reading application, such as
    "top", starts reading stats for a thread which goes away during the
    read. This is easily reproduced with a program that rapidly forks and
    exits while top is running.

    On inspection, I don't see how the code can expect the thread_struct to
    stay around since it is not holding any lock for the duration of its
    use. The code could hold the thread_struct's lock (after verifying it
    still exists while holding tasklist_lock I would imagine), but for
    performance I would think a better solution would be to copy the struct
    since stale data is probably ok in this case.

    Dereferencing a non-existent thread_struct is clearly not ok.

    Would anyone familiar with this code care to comment?
    --
    -todd