    SubjectRe: X15 alpha release: as fast as TUX but in user space (fwd)

    > > > In x86-64 there are special vsyscalls btw to solve this problem that export
    > > > a lockless kernel gettimeofday()
    > >
    > > Whatever happened to that hack that was discussed a year or two ago?
    > > The one where (also on IA32) a magic page was set up by the kernel
    > > containing code for fast system calls, and the kernel would write
    > > calibation information to that magic page. The code written there
    > > would use the TSC in conjunction with that calibration data.
    > >
    > > There was much discussion about this idea, even Linus was keen on
    > > it. But IIRC, nothing ever happened.
    > >
    > We discussed this at the Summit, not a year or two ago. x86-64 has
    > it, and it wouldn't be too bad to do in i386... just noone did.

    Just wait what kind of problems it is able to bring on i386.

    PS: Hmm, how do you do timewarp for just one userland appliation with
    this installed?

    I'm "In my country we have almost anarchy and I don't care."
    Panos Katsaloulis describing me w.r.t. patents at

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:52    [W:0.020 / U:76.924 seconds]