    SubjectRe: Multi-function PCI devices
    Brian Gerst wrote:
    > Gérard Roudier wrote:
    > > Given your description, this board is certainly not a multi-fonction PCI
    > > device. Multi-function PCI devices provide separate resources for each
    > > function in a way that allows each function to be driven by separate
    > > software drivers. A single function PCI device that provides several
    > > functionnalities commonly handled by separate sub-systems, is nothing but
    > > a bag of shit we should not want to support in any O/S in my opinion.
    > > Let me claim that ingenieers that want O/Ses to support such hardware are
    > > either morons or bastards.
    >
    > Unfortunately, Windoze supports this configuration, and that's enough
    > for most hardware designers. This is also an issue with the joystick
    > ports on many PCI sound cards. We're not in a position to get up on the
    > soap box and decree this hardware "a bag of shit" though, yet.
    >
    > PS. I have run into this issue before with joystick ports on many PCI
    > sound cards. The only one that I found that did it right (seperate PCI
    > function for the game port) was the SBLive.

    We -can- support multifunction cards such and these, and no we don't
    need to hack the infrastructure to do it. You might need to hack the
    subsystem drivers a bit to make them more flexible, but that's it.

    WRT the specific example of joystick ports, it is already possible for a
    sound driver to register a joystick port. No problem there either.

    Jeff

    --
    Jeff Garzik | Sam: "Mind if I drive?"
    Building 1024 | Max: "Not if you don't mind me clawing at the dash