    SubjectRe: Multi-function PCI devices

    On Sat, 7 Apr 2001, Michael Reinelt wrote:

    > Hi there,
    >
    > I've got a problem with my communication card: It's a PCI card with a
    > NetMos chip, and it provides two serial and one parallel port. It's not
    > officially supported by the linux kernel, so I wrote my own patch and
    > sent it to the parallel, serial and pci maintainer. The patch itself is
    > basically an extension of the pci id tables; and I hope it's in the
    > queue for the official kernel.
    >
    > The patch worked great for me with kernel 2.4.1 and .2, but no longer
    > with 2.4.3. The parallel port still works, but the serial port will not
    > be detected. I had a quite long debugging session last night (adding
    > printk's to the pci code takes some time, for you have to reboot to load
    > the new kernel), and I think I found the reason:
    >
    > The card shows up on the PCI bus as one device. For the card provides
    > both serial and parallel ports, it will be driven by two subsystems, the
    > serial and the parallel driver.

    Given your description, this board is certainly not a multi-fonction PCI
    device. Multi-function PCI devices provide separate resources for each
    function in a way that allows each function to be driven by separate
    software drivers. A single function PCI device that provides several
    functionnalities commonly handled by separate sub-systems, is nothing but
    a bag of shit we should not want to support in any O/S in my opinion.
    Let me claim that ingenieers that want O/Ses to support such hardware are
    either morons or bastards.

    > I found that _either_ the parallel or the serial port works, depending
    > on which module you load first. The reason for this seems to be in
    > pci.c, especially in the pci_register_driver() function. It reads:
    >
    > int pci_register_driver(struct pci_driver *drv)
    > {
    > struct pci_dev *dev;
    > int count = 0;
    >
    > list_add_tail(&drv->node, &pci_drivers);
    > pci_for_each_dev(dev) {
    > if (!pci_dev_driver(dev))
    > count += pci_announce_device(drv, dev);
    > }
    > return count;
    > }
    >

    > pci_announce_device() will be called only if there's no other driver
    > claiming the device. This explains why either the parallel or the serial
    > port will be detected: The first driver loaded will see the device, the
    > next drivers won't.
    >
    > I'm afraid this is not a bug, but a design issue, and will be hard to
    > solve. Maybe we need a flag for such devices which allows it to be
    > claimed ba more thean one driver?
    >
    > In the meantime, what can I do to get both ports working?

    Since the hardware does not allows the software to transparently share the
    different functionnalities provided by the silicium, you must handle such
    sharing by software. I mean, you must, at least, write a module (or
    sub-driver or sub-system) that will handle the sharing of the PCI
    function. Band-aiding the kernel code in order to cope with such
    brain-deaded hardware would be a pity, in my opinion. Burden must stay
    where it is deserved. If they want their 'save 0.01$ but push shit ahead'
    hardware to be supported, they should write their drivers themselves, in
    my opinion.

    Gérard.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:24    [W:0.026 / U:64.756 seconds]