SubjectRe: Contacts within AMD? AMD-756 USB host-controller blacklisted due to
Miles Lane wrote:

> Personally, I agree with you, but I can also understand David's
> desire to avoid wasting time chasing phantom bugs that only
> show up due to this broken hardware. If it turns out that
> there is actually a well-defined workaround that AMD will
> tell us about, it shouldn't take too long before we have a
> real fix and the AMD-756 can be taken off of the blacklist.
>
> My guess is that there are specific drivers for which this
> hardware bug causes problems. You probably just aren't
> using the *right* drivers. :-)

00:07.4 USB Controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] AMD-756 [Viper] USB
(rev 06) (prog-if 10 [OHCI])
Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV+ VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B-
<TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
Latency: 80 max, 16 set, cache line size 08
Interrupt: pin D routed to IRQ 10
Region 0: Memory at efffd000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]

This is also a rev 06 chip, on a MSI K7Pro (Slot A) board.

The only item I use with it is a Creative Webcam III and I have yet to
see this error with any kernel version in the 2.4.x series.

So I think you might be right about certain drivers exposing the
hardware flaw.

As for not blacklisting the whole chipset, its probably the smart thing
to do, and for those who really really want to use the driver anyhow, a
simple diff between the usb-ohci.c files between 2.4.2 and 2.4.3 shows
how to remove the blacklist.

Ryan Butler
ADI Internet Solutions
rbutler@adiis.net

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:24    [W:0.086 / U:0.292 seconds]