Subject2.4.3 freeze under heavy writing + open rxvt
Three times now I've had 2.4.3 freeze on my dual CPU box while doing a
"dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hdc bs=1024k" (a drive to be RMA'd :)). I got
bored and opened an rxvt, and as the machine was swapping in (I assume),
everything froze. The mouse still moved for about 5 seconds before the
freeze, and the window was visible as it was attempting to start tcsh.

I'm guessing that what's happening is something is waiting on a lock and
blocking interrupts (?) for five seconds while it is swapping in, and the
NMI lockup detector is kicking in and really breaking it.

I have my serial console plugged in and minicom actually capturing now,
so I'll see if I can get a trace of some sort.

Simon-

[ Stormix Technologies Inc. ][ NetNation Communications Inc. ]
[ sim@stormix.com ][ sim@netnation.com ]
[ Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employers. ]

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:23    [W:0.047 / U:0.072 seconds]