    SubjectRe: 2.4 and 2GB swap partition limit
    LA Walsh wrote:

    > > > no more true AFAIK
    > >
    > > I've always been trying to convice people that 2x RAM remains a good
    > > rule-of-thumb.
    >
    > ---
    > Ug. I like to view swap as "low grade memory" -- i.e. I really
    > should spend 99.9% of my time in RAM -- if I spill, then it means
    > I'm running too much/too big for my computer and should get more RAM --
    > meanwhile, I suffer with performance degradation to remind me I'm really
    > exceeding my machine's physical memory capacity.

    Agreed. However, with current growing memory sizes, people are
    suggesting: "I ran with 32Mb RAM and 64Mb swap until a year ago, so
    128Mb ram should allow me to run swapless". I disagree.

    The price-difference between RAM and disk is such (*) that if you
    follow the guideline of swap=2xRAM, you're still spending 20 to 50
    times as much on the RAM as you are on the disk space for swap.

    Even if the swap is going to be idle 99.9% of the time, the investment
    allows you to say "gosh what is the machien slow today. It might be
    swapping" instead of "Why the heck has the machine crashed (#) all of
    a sudden."

    Rogier.

    (*) And remains like that!

    (#) Even if we have a good OOM killer, you might find the machine in a
    non-workable state.

    * There are old pilots, and there are bold pilots.
    * There are also old, bald pilots.