    SubjectRe: ramdisk/tmpfs/ramfs/memfs ?
    Hi Padraig,

    On Fri, 27 Apr 2001, Padraig Brady wrote:
    > I don't have swap so don't need tmpfs, but could probably
    > use it anyway without a backing store?

    Yes, it does not need backing store.

    > Anyway why was ramfs created if tmpfs existed, unless tmpfs requires
    > backing store? They both seem to have been written around the same
    > time?

    - shm fs was written as a specialized fs to implement POSIX shared
    memory based on SYSV shm.
    - ramfs was introduced shortly after shm fs and was meant as a
    programming example for a minimal virtual filesystem.
    - Later shm fs was redone to use the same methods like ramfs but still
    was only useable for shared memory.
    - After the release of 2.4.0, I extended shm fs to support read/write
    and thus be tmpfs and since then it can replace ramfs.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:52    [W:0.022 / U:2.884 seconds]