    SubjectRe: Let init know user wants to shutdown [linux-power] [linux-pm-devel] [linux-kernel-mailing-list] [some-other-list]

    > > You can break the whole power management problem down to "here are the
    > > levels of low-power provided by the hardware, here are the idleness
    > > triggers that may be monitored". That's it, nothing more.
    > > This is powerful enough to do all the things you could want a pm layer
    > > to do:
    > >
    > > 1) CPU's have been in their idle threads for X percent of
    > > of the past measurement quantum, half clock the processors.
    > >
    > > 2) The user has hit the "sleep" trigger, spin down the disks,
    > > reduce clock the cpus, bus, PCI controller and PCI devices.
    > Often the 'sleep trigger' is an _absence_ of activity rather than anything
    > explicit like a button being pressed. You need inactivity timers, and events
    > which _reset_ those timers, on triggers like keyboard/touchscreen/serial
    > input, etc.

    I believe that at least thermal managment should be done in
    kernelspace. You do not want to overheat your cpu because you
    accidentally killed powerd, right?
    The best software in life is free (not shareware)! Pavel
    GCM d? s-: !g p?:+ au- a--@ w+ v- C++@ UL+++ L++ N++ E++ W--- M- Y- R+

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:52    [W:0.021 / U:71.344 seconds]