SubjectRe: [patch] linux likes to kill bad inodes
Hi!

> >> Wouldn't we rather make it so bad inodes don't get marked dirty at all?
> >
> > I guess this is cheaper: we can mark inode dirty at 1000 points, but
> > you only write it at one point.
>
> Whoops, I worded that poorly. To me, it seems like a bug to dirty a bad
> inode. If this patch works, it is because somewhere, somebody did
> something with a bad inode, and thought the operation worked (otherwise,
> why dirty it?).

Would it make sense to put the check into write_inode_ with BUG() and
return, then?

> So yes, even if we dirty them in a 1000 different places, we need to find
> the one place that believes it can do something worthwhile to a bad
> inode.

Could not it be something as simple as atime update?

Pavel
--
The best software in life is free (not shareware)! Pavel
GCM d? s-: !g p?:+ au- a--@ w+ v- C++@ UL+++ L++ N++ E++ W--- M- Y- R+