    SubjectRe: [Ext2-devel] ext2 inode size (on-disk)
    On Thu, Apr 19, 2001 at 10:23:39PM -0400, Alexander Viro wrote:
    > I'm somewhat concerned about the following: last block of inode table
    > fragment may have less inodes than the rest. Reason: number of inodes
    > per group should be a multiple of 8 and with inodes bigger than 128
    > bytes it may give such effect. Comments?

    Yup, that's right. That shouldn't be too bad, though, since we
    already calculate things by dividing by INODES_PER_BLOCK_GROUP. So
    the fact that the last block of the inode table may have some unused
    space shouldn't be a problem.

    > I would really, really like to end up with accurate description of
    > inode table layout somewhere in Documentation/filesystems. Heck, I
    > volunteer to write it down and submit into the tree ;-)

    The "design and implementation of ext2" paper has a pretty good
    explanation of the inode table, but of course it assumed a convenient
    inode size of 128, and didn't really go into the issues of what might
    happen if the inode size were larger, or not a power of two.

    So yeah, getting something which explains how things work now that
    things have gotten a bit more complicated would be a good thing.

    - Ted

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:26    [W:0.020 / U:12.856 seconds]