    Russell King writes:
    > - Secondly, its very easy to miss stuff in the lkml hunk of email each
    > day when you have less than 4 hours to read it and think about it.
    > (note that architecture maintainers have to read mail from their
    > side which may not be on lkml, think about that, think about bug fixes,
    > possible impacts of fixes on other machines, etc etc). Therefore,
    > copying their email address registered in the MAINTAINER file means
    > that they should not overlook your patch.

    One of the issues for contacting each MAINTAINER is that this information
    is out-of-line from the actual kernel tree. The other is that the
    description of what a maintainer is actually controlling is somewhat
    vague.

    How about the following:
    - each directory has a MAINTAINERS file which lists parties with a
    vested interest in files in that directory (format is mostly the
    same as current)
    - subdirectories which don't have a MAINTAINERS file use the MAINTAINERS
    file of the parent (or grandparent) directory
    - each maintainer entry explicitly lists each file/directory that this
    person is interested in, maybe "F: {file | directory} ...".

    I'm sure Eric can come up with a simple program to parse the MAINTAINER
    file/tree. If the program takes a kernel-tree relative filename and
    spit out the name/email of the relevant maintainer (subsystem and port
    specific mailing lists should also be included), that would make the
    job of finding out who to send patches to a whole lot easier.

    My one gripe about the MAINTAINERS file is that it still lists Remy
    Card as EXT2 maintainer, so we would probably need to do a find on
    the whole kernel tree, email each address a list of files that they
    "maintain" and wait until they complain, agree, or time out. Once
    the database is up-to-date, it simplifies the job of keeping maintainers
    (and other interested parties) in the loop.

    Cheers, Andreas
    --
    Andreas Dilger \ "If a man ate a pound of pasta and a pound of antipasto,
    \ would they cancel out, leaving him still hungry?"