    SubjectRe: bug database braindump from the kernel summit
    On Sun, 1 Apr 2001, Jeff Garzik wrote:

    > On Sun, 1 Apr 2001, David Lang wrote:
    > > if we want to get the .config as part of the report then we need to make
    > > it part of the kernel in some standard way (the old /proc/config flamewar)
    > > it's difficult enough sometimes for the sysadmin of a box to know what
    > > kernel is running on it, let alone a bug reporting script.
    >
    > Let's hope it's not a flamewar, but here goes :)
    >
    > We -need- .config, but /proc/config seems like pure bloat.

    As a former proponent of /proc/config (I wrote one of the much-debated
    patches), I tend to agree. Debian's make-kpkg does the right thing, namely
    treating .config the same way it treats System-map, putting it in the
    package and eventually installing it in /boot/config-x.y.z. If Redhat's
    kernel-install script did the same it would rapidly become a non-issue.