    SubjectRe: /proc/config idea
    yes it's unreclaimable memory and that's why we want to minimize how much
    is used.

    on the other hand there is a factor of reliability in the kernel knowing
    what options were used to compile it that you just cannot match with a
    seperate file, or even with it a part of the on-disk image that is thrown
    out when it gets loaded into memory.

    if the distro/sysadmin _always_ installs the kernel the 'right way' then
    the difference isn't nessasarily that large, but if you want reliability
    on any system it may be worth loosing a page or so of memory (hasn't
    someone said that the data can be compressed to <1K?) make it so that you
    need a common external tool to use the data and deliver it from the kernel
    in compressed form and you don't even need to put the decompression
    routine in the kernel (cat /proc/sys/kernel/config |gunzip >config)

    David Lang

    On Mon, 2 Apr 2001, Jeff Garzik