SubjectRe: bug database braindump from the kernel summit
the reason for suggesting /proc is that this data needs to be available in
a standard place, putting it in the kernel image (compressed is fine,
bitmap is fine) eliminates the problems of trying to dictate where in the
filesystem the distros need to put things.

putting it in /proc _somewhere_ (/proc/sys/kernel/config any better???)
avoids the need to invent a new place to put it.

one person suggested that instead of listing all the options in a nice
human readable format we could change it to a series of flags, that won't
quite work as there are three values for most options (Y,N,M) not to
mentions the ones that allow more values. you could still just list all
the config values without including the stuff to the left of the = it
would require matching up with the kernel version specific config file to
tell what is what but would cut down on the space needed.

David Lang

proc is overused, but putting the compile options