    SubjectRe: bug database braindump from the kernel summit

    On 04.02 Oliver Xymoron wrote:

    > As a former proponent of /proc/config (I wrote one of the much-debated
    > patches), I tend to agree. Debian's make-kpkg does the right thing, namely
    > treating .config the same way it treats System-map, putting it in the
    > package and eventually installing it in /boot/config-x.y.z. If Redhat's
    > kernel-install script did the same it would rapidly become a non-issue.

    Could <installkernel> make part of the kernel scripts, or in one other
    standard software package, like modutils, so its versions are controlled
    and can be requested (in Doc/ChageLog, like other things) ?

    Perhaps it could be put into a kernel-utils package with ksymoops, and
    standarise the places and naming. I do not know if systems like Caldera,
    SuSE or Debian adopted the /boot place for kernel things (standard kernels
    still come with INSTALL_PATH=/boot commented-out), or the
    vmlinuz-X.Y.Z naming.

    I think the best solution would be to make /boot the 'official' place for
    kernels, the -X.Y.Z naming an standard, installkernel should save System.map
    and .config.

    And you can add something like /proc/signature/map, /proc/signature/config,
    etc to md5-check if a certain file fits running kernel.

    --
    J.A. Magallon # Let the source
    mailto:jamagallon@able.es # be with you, Luke...

    Linux werewolf 2.4.3 #2 SMP Fri Mar 30 15:42:05 CEST 2001 i686