SubjectRe: bug database braindump from the kernel summit

On 04.02 Oliver Xymoron wrote:
> As a former proponent of /proc/config (I wrote one of the much-debated
> patches), I tend to agree. Debian's make-kpkg does the right thing, namely
> treating .config the same way it treats System-map, putting it in the
> package and eventually installing it in /boot/config-x.y.z. If Redhat's
> kernel-install script did the same it would rapidly become a non-issue.

Could <installkernel> make part of the kernel scripts, or in one other
standard software package, like modutils, so its versions are controlled
and can be requested (in Doc/ChageLog, like other things) ?

Perhaps it could be put into a kernel-utils package with ksymoops, and
standarise the places and naming. I do not know if systems like Caldera,
SuSE or Debian adopted the /boot place for kernel things (standard kernels
still come with INSTALL_PATH=/boot commented-out), or the
vmlinuz-X.Y.Z naming.

I think the best solution would be to make /boot the 'official' place for
kernels, the -X.Y.Z naming an standard, installkernel should save
and .config.

And you can add something like /proc/signature/map, /proc/signature/config,
etc to md5-check if a certain file fits running kernel.

J.A. Magallon # Let the source # be with you, Luke...

Linux werewolf 2.4.3 #2 SMP Fri Mar 30 15:42:05 CEST 2001 i686