    SubjectRe: Dead symbol elimination, stage 1

    Um...this is what you said:

    > The ones that show up in arch/arm/def-configs are purely because I've been
    > keeping back the updates to these files; each time the config structure
    > changes, I get a nice big patch from people with the new def-configs. I
    > didn't want to inflict this too regularly on people.

    I read this as "I haven't fixed the problem because..." not as "Don't
    fix the problem." Please be more explicit next time so I won't step on
    your toes?

    I don't care whether it's you or me that cleans up this part of the
    dead-symbol mess. I'm just trying to get it cleaned up.

    I'm rather disturbed by the amount of crap kxref is turning up -- I
    expected dozens of dodgy bits, but I'm finding hundreds. We need to pay
    better attention to janitorial issues like this if the kernel code
    isn't going to degenerate into an unmaintainable hairball.

    False is the idea of utility that sacrifices a thousand real advantages for
    one imaginary or trifling inconvenience; that would take fire from men because
    it burns, and water because one may drown in it; that has no remedy for evils
    except destruction. The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of
    such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined
    to commit crimes.
    -- Cesare Beccaria, as quoted by Thomas Jefferson's Commonplace book

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:26    [W:0.023 / U:93.580 seconds]