    On Thu, Apr 19, 2001 at 11:00:09PM -0400, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
    > What is the right procedure for doing changes like this? Is "don't
    > touch that tree" a permanent condition, or am I going to get a chance
    > to clean up the global CONFIG_ namespace after your next merge-down?

    Our current status is that we've got a patch with Alan that's been sitting
    in his tree for a while (things got trickier than he expected and he
    hasn't been able to merge that upstream to Linus yet). Meanwhile we've
    carried on development as normal. So even after the patches in Alan's
    tree land, we've still got a fair hunk of changes to go in.

    My preference would be for you to fetch our tree

    cvs -d login
    [no password]

    cvs -d co linux

    and submit patches to us, which will get to Linus in the fullness of time.
    I'm aware this might not be terribly satisfactory for you, but we're
    doing our best not to lose our way amid the churn of development right
    now and having patches which haven't followed a progression through
    us makes that significantly harder.

    > Could I ask you to audit your tree and change the prefix on any
    > CONFIG_ symbols that are private over there? This would make life
    > easier for my auditing tools (kxref and Stephen Cole's ach script).

    I don't think we have any of those. We certainly have symbols which are
    defined for symmetry and may not actually be used yet (CONFIG_PA11 might not
    be, perhaps). But that's what happens when you're developing software :-)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:26    [W:0.020 / U:3.016 seconds]