    On Thu, Apr 19 2001, Peter T. Breuer wrote:
    > "Jens Axboe wrote:"
    > > Examine _why_ you don't want plugging. In 2.2, you would have to edit
    > > the kernel manually to disable it for your device.
    > True. Except that I borrowed a major which already got that special
    > treatment.

    > > For 2.4, as long as
    > > there has been blk_queue_pluggable, there has also been the
    > > disable-merge function mentioned. Why are you disabling plugging??
    > Fundamentally, to disable merging, as you suggest. I had merging
    > working fine in 2.0.*. Then I never could figure out what had to be
    > done in 2.2.*, so I disabled it. In 2.4, things work nicely - I don't
    > have to do anything and it all happens magically.

    > Nevertheless, I am left with baggage that I have to maintain -
    > certainly the driver has to work in 2.2 as well as in 2.4. Removing
    > the blah_plugging function now in 2.4 after having started off 2.4
    > with it around gives me one more #ifdef kernel_version in my code.

    On the contrary, you are now given an exceptional opportunity to clean
    up your code and get rid of blk_queue_pluggable and your noop plugging

    > I don't think that's good for my code, and in general I don't think one
    > should remove this function half way through a stable series. Leave it
    > there, mark it as deprecated in big letters, and make it do nothing,
    > but leave it there, no?

    Because most people are using it for the wrong reason anyway, so I'd
    consider it a not-so-subtle hint. There should be no need for extra
    ifdef's, on the contrary.

    Jens Axboe

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:26    [W:0.020 / U:8.808 seconds]