SubjectRe: Let init know user wants to shutdown
On Tue, Apr 17, 2001 at 08:16:00AM +0200, Simon Richter wrote:

> > Extending SIGPWR will break inits not yet supporting the extensions,
> > so this is IMO not an option. There should be used some other signal
> > which is simply ignored by an old init.
> Make it a config option then; the short description says "read help", the
> long help says "you need init version x.y". People compiling their own
> kernels should know what they're doing, and distributors usually know what
> init they are packaging.

The problem with this is that there is no single init. Most
distribution run the same SysV init, but there are quite a few init
replacements around. Should we really break all of them? We can simply
use another signal and build a generic (and extensible) signalling
mechanism around it, so I don't really see a reason why we should
break old inits.

Andreas
--
Insults are effective only where emotion is present.
-- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" stardate 3468.1