SubjectRe: Let init know user wants to shutdown
On Tue, 17 Apr 2001, Andreas Ferber wrote:

> > Okay, but at least take a better signal than SIGINT, probably one that the
> > init maintainers like so it gets adopted faster (or extend SIGPWR).

> Extending SIGPWR will break inits not yet supporting the extensions,
> so this is IMO not an option. There should be used some other signal
> which is simply ignored by an old init.

Make it a config option then; the short description says "read help", the
long help says "you need init version x.y". People compiling their own
kernels should know what they're doing, and distributors usually know what
init they are packaging.

> The distribution of such events to other userspace processes (if there
> are some that want to receive a subset of the events) can be perfectly
> done by init, so we should IMO keep this stuff out of the kernel (I
> don't think that the processing of such events will ever be
> performance critical).

Fine with me as long as I get a decent interface where the policy manager
can plug into. :-)

Simon

--
GPG public key available from http://phobos.fs.tum.de/pgp/Simon.Richter.asc
Fingerprint: DC26 EB8D 1F35 4F44 2934 7583 DBB6 F98D 9198 3292