    SubjectRe: CML2 1.1.1, wiuth experimental fast mode
    Albert D. Cahalan <>:
    > > * Added fast-mode command to suppress side-effect computation
    > > on slow machines.
    > You could put the computation in a low-priority thread, so that it
    > still gets done but doesn't mess up responsiveness.

    Yes, I've thought about doing exactly this. It's a huge nasty can of
    worms, though, because it would mean that the side effects from
    setting a symbol could manifest some unpredictable amount of time
    after they were triggered. And what if the user has taken actions
    that set variables during that window? What if the side-effects

    Clearly, that way lies madness. I think my effort would be better spent
    speed-tuning the deduction algorithms so fastmode can go away.

    The men and women who founded our country knew, by experience, that there
    are times when the free person's answer to oppressive government has to be
    delivered with a bullet. Thus, the right to bear arms is not just *a*
    freedom; it's the mother of all freedoms. Don't let them disarm you!

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:25    [W:0.021 / U:23.856 seconds]