SubjectRe: comments on CML 1.1.0
On Sat, Apr 14, 2001 at 03:51:53PM -0400, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> jeff millar <jeff@wa1hco.mv.com>:
> > Selecting IP_NF_COMPAT_IPCHAINS turns off IP_NF_CONNTRACK and friends. But,
> > I think CML1, allowed both support to the new iptables and compatibility
> > modes to allow old ipchains scripts to work with the new kernel.
>
> Would somebody who knows what these dependencies are please send me a rule
> patch?

Ok, as I am one of the netfilter people, and I've already cleaned up this
issue after Linus' switch to the 'new-style' Makefiles somewhen in 2.4.0-textXX
I might be suitable for this job.

Unfortunately I don't know too much about CML2, so I cannot provide you with
a straightforward ruleset, only with a description:

Basically there are the following dependencies:

1. you compile connection tracking as module
a) iptables compiled as module
- you can compile ANY or BOTH of ipchains, ipfwadm as
module ONLY (not static)
b) iptables compiled static
- NO possibility of compiling ipchains or ipfwadm at all,
either as module or static
c) iptables NOT compiled at all
- you can compile ONE OF ipchains, ipfwadm statically
- you can compile BOTH of them as modules

2. you compile connection tracking statically into the kernel
- NO possibility of compiling ipchains or ipfwadm at all,
either module or static
- iptables can be compiled modular or static

there's another interesting dependency, I'll describe the problem first:

Netfilter has modules called connection tracking and nat helpers. For
most protocols, they will appear in pairs (as opposed to only one module
called ip_masq_XXX in 2.2.x). They are performing independent functionality,
and you will never need the NAT helper on a non-nat box.

1. connection tracking (CONFIG_IP_NF_CONNTRACK) is on (M or Y)
Full NAT (CONFIG_IP_NF_NAT) off
- if CONFIG_IP_NF_FTP is OFF, none of ip_conntrack_ftp.c/ip_nat_ftp.c
are compiled
- if CONFIG_IP_NF_FTP is ON (M or Y), ip_conntrcak_ftp.c is compiled
(as module or statically, as apropriate)
2. connection tracking is on (M or Y), Full NAT is on (M or Y)
- if CONFIG_IP_NF_FTP is OFF, none of ip_conntrack_ftp.c/ip_nat_ftp.c
are compiled
- if CONFIG_IP_NF_FTP is ON (M or Y), both ip_conntrack_ftp.c AND
ip_nat_ftp.c are compiled (module or static, as user wishes)

I'm asking myself if we now should be proud of having the most complicated
dependencies of the whole kernel ;)

--
Live long and prosper
- Harald Welte / laforge@gnumonks.org http://www.gnumonks.org