    SubjectRe: IP Acounting Idea for 2.5
    On Tue, Apr 17, 2001 at 08:46:12AM +1000, David Findlay wrote:
    > On Monday 16 April 2001 10:40, you wrote:
    > > Perhaps I misunderstand what it is exactly you are trying to do,
    > > but I would think that this could be done entirely in userland by
    > > software that just adds rules for you instead of you having to do
    > > it manually.
    >
    > I suppose, but it would be so much easier if the kernel did it automatically.
    > Having a rule to go through for each IP address to be logged would be slower
    > than implementing one rule that would log all of them. Doing this in the
    > kernel would improve preformance.

    Perhaps "netflow" would be an answer ?

    It is cisco idea for collecting accounting data for
    network flows. System has a cache of flows for
    which it collects data, and once the cache overflows
    (or flow times out), data is sent to designated flow
    collection server(s).

    http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/pd/iosw/ioft/neflct/tech/napps_wp.htm

    > David

    /Matti Aarnio

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:25    [W:0.028 / U:1.028 seconds]