    SubjectRe: CML2 1.1.1, wiuth experimental fast mode
    At 04:45 15/04/2001, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
    >Release 1.1.1: Sat Apr 14 23:41:34 EDT 2001
    > * The old menuconfig shortcut that 'm' in a boolean entry field
    > sets 'y' is now implemented.
    > * Simplified color scheme.

    Much better now! make xconfig still seems to be the old way (hadn't tried
    it before)? - At least I get two shades of green. The lighter one is
    completely unreadable on the silver background. Could I suggest to get rid
    of the light/dark green distinction altogether, do it like the new
    menuconfig colors, they are much improved now. - Also removing the N and
    replacing M by m has improved readability by a long way. (-:

    > * Added fast-mode command to suppress side-effect computation
    > on slow machines.
    >
    >I'd appreciate it if some of you with slow machines would try running
    >with fast mode on and seeing if that addresses the sluggishness.

    On my Pentium 133S with fastmode I get a more than 2 fold increase in speed
    and it feels a lot more usable. Still have to wait between key presses but
    it is better than before.

    I also tried this on a Dual Celeron 450. Speed is fine but you can still
    feel that something is happening in between the key press and it taking
    effect. fastmode doesn't make much difference that I could feel there.

    One general note: scrolling between entries (up/down arrow) seems slower
    than it should be. It is noticeable when you want to scroll several entries
    at once and hit an arrow key quickly several times in succession. Perhaps
    the action taken after reaching an entry could be delayed until the next
    key press and only then when it is not one of the move to next/prev option
    ones? That should make moving up/down instantaneous like in the old (cml1)
    menuconfig. But then I have no idea how cml2 works so maybe my suggestion
    is bogus...

    Keep up the good work. You are on the right track. (-:

    Best regards,

    Anton

    Linux NTFS Maintainer / WWW: http://sourceforge.net/projects/linux-ntfs/
    ICQ: 8561279 / WWW: http://www-stu.christs.cam.ac.uk/~aia21/