    SubjectRe: How do I make a circular pipe?
    > >  Apparently, the pipe
    > > fd's evaporate when the process does an execve.
    > Check out:
    > #include <unistd.h>
    > #include <fcntl.h>
    > /* ... */
    > fcntl (fd, F_SETFD, (long) FD_CLOEXEC);
    > to set/reset the close on exec bit.

    Cool. That's EXACTLY what I was looking for. Thanks.

    Thanks also to the people who pointed out pppd's "pty"
    option (yes I read the docs on that, but they're a bit
    cryptic). And yes, my pseudo-code example used fd[0]
    twice. Thanks. You can stop emailing me now. :)

    > You might want to check out something like Stevens
    > advanced UNIX programming, though it is probably
    > somewhat dated :-)

    I've got about fifteen books with names like that, but
    strangely in real world situations I keep trying to
    use the man pages instead. Sad, I know...

    > At a guess I would say that the reason is you don't
    > have as much control with pipes as you do with
    > devices. Under the standard termios, you can tell
    > the system to not return from the read until either
    > characters have been read, or a given character such
    > as a newline has been read. You can also switch to
    > alternative line disciplines that are more targeted
    > to a given application such as PPP, etc.

    Hmmm. And the reason these cool toys aren't available
    as some kind of wrapper around a normal read-from-fd
    is...? (Performance?)

    > You probably want to check out pseudo tty's (pty's),
    > which allow you to create your own terminal.

    This occurred to me in the car on the way home after
    five hours messing with this. (Of course. :)

    > Here is the glibc documentation,

    Info. Never thought to check info. Here I am
    checking linuxdoc's howtos, man pages, and google...
    Sigh... I don't suppose there's an info2html tool

    Well what do you know, there is. (I LIKE Google.)

    Do You Yahoo!?

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:25    [W:0.021 / U:16.996 seconds]