SubjectRe: [kbuild-devel] Re: CML2 1.0.0 release announcement
On Thursday 12 April 2001 10:51, Horst von Brand wrote:
> Steven Cole <elenstev@mesatop.com> said:
>
> [...]
>
> > It would seem to me that if someone is using an older and slower machine
> > to build a kernel, they are probably doing this somewhat infrequently,
> > and the longer build process, although more painful for those few users,
> > should be endurable if it is indeed infrequent.
>
> Please stop a moment and _think_.
>
> There are people out there that have got a P/90 or less, or just a Sun IPX,
> no network access (or slow phone lines at high prices). That _you_ have a
> dual P3/733 doesn't help them one bit, now does it.

Actually, I did think, and then thought a little more. Here is a snippet
of what I posted earlier:

>Upon further reflection, the added several second stall will probably be
>a thorn in many people's sides, as it comes while the user is impatiently
>waiting for it to launch. I don't use StarOffice because it takes 12-15
>seconds to start up and that just seems too long.
>
>So any efforts to reduce the stall will probably have a leveraged
>effect which is much greater than might otherwise seem at first glance.

Sorry, I guess its all too easy to get spoiled quickly with new hardware.
And I'm one of those with slow phone lines.

Steven

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:25    [W:0.066 / U:0.100 seconds]