    SubjectRe: Bug report: tcp staled when send-q != 0, timers == 0.

    On Wed, Apr 11, 2001 at 11:04:04PM +0400, wrote:
    > > In my experiments linux simply sets mss=mtu-40 at the start of ethernet
    > > connections. I do not know why, but belive it's ok. How the version of
    > > kernel and configuration options can affect mss later?
    > The problem begins f.e. when mss is less and packet arrives on ethernet.
    > It eats the same 1.5k of memory, but carries only ~mss bytes of tcp payload.
    > See? We do not know this forward, advertise large window, have not enough
    > rcvbuf to get it filled and cannot do anything but dropping new packets.

    However, I can't understand the dependency upon the kernel version, etc...

    Let me steak on this question again. In my experiments I found the
    dependency on the keepalive setting for connection on 2.2.17:

    mtu 382 + keepalive yes -> loss
    mtu 382 + keepalive no -> ok

    I made 2 tries for each setting. Does your model of "mss/mtu bug" cover
    such a picture? If the answer is "yes", I am almost satisfied. :-)

    If this behaviour is not deterministic, and is driven by probability,
    does it mean that I can get other results with large number of tests?
    Eugene Berdnikov

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:25    [W:0.021 / U:4.172 seconds]