    SubjectRe: [RFC] FW: proposal for systems that do not require security
    On Tue, Apr 10, 2001 at 02:35:52PM +0200, Heusden, Folkert van wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have an idea: I have a couple of linux-systems running in a intranet which
    > is not connected to do outside world in any way. Since they're only used for
    > calculations for which there is no harm if anyone would tamper with them,
    > security is not neccessary. The only thing important, is performance. Huge
    > amounts of data must be transferred inbetween these boxes.
    > So, I was wondering: isn't it a nice idea to have a switch in the
    > configuration menu to disable entropy-gathering in the interrupt-routines,
    > have some simplistic routine (like x'=(x * m + a) % p) which returns a non-
    > cryptographic value, and something similar symplistic for the network-
    > traffic routines?

    Have you already tried to measure how much impact has entropy
    gathering on the overall performances? Something like the Linux Trace
    Toolkit (http://www.opersys.com/LTT/) could be of help here.

    I doubt such optimization is useful to the mainstream kernel tree,
    but it would be interesting to compare numbers nonetheless.

    Ciao,

    Andrea Glorioso

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:24    [W:0.020 / U:0.204 seconds]