    SubjectRe: Ramdisk (and other) problems with 2.4.2
    On Fri, 9 Mar 2001, Alexander Viro wrote:

    > On Fri, 9 Mar 2001, Mike Galbraith wrote:
    > > I think I've figured it out.. at least I've found a way to reproduce
    > > the exact errors to the last detail and some pretty nasty corruption
    > > to go with it. The operator must help though.. a lot ;-)
    > >
    > > If you do mount -o remount /dev/somedisk / thinking that that will get
    > > rid of your /dev/ram0 root, that isn't the case, and you will corrupt
    > > the device you remounted (I did it to a scratch monkey) very badly when
    > > you write to the still mounted ramdisk.

    Mount was not executed.

    > Ugh. mount -o remount ignores dev_name argument. It will change the
    > flags of fs mounted from /dev/ram0 and will not even touch a /dev/somedisk.
    > If you write to device you have mounted... Well, don't expect it to be pretty.
    [Snipped wonderful explaination of how to change flags using `mount`]

    > Cheers,
    > Al
    > (fully expecting a long rant from Richard declaring that -o remount had
    > _always_ been used to mount a different fs and both ANSI C standard and
    > X-files fan guide mention it somewhere ;-)

    Nope. I didn't have anything to do with the way an
    initial ramdisk is implemented either. However, here
    is the point at which the root file system gets changed
    from the initrd file-system to the real root.

    This is `dmesg` stripped down:

    sda: sda1 sda2 < sda5 >
    SCSI device sdb: 4406960 512-byte hdwr sectors (2256 MB)
    sdb: sdb1 sdb2
    SCSI device sdc: 17783240 512-byte hdwr sectors (9105 MB)
    sdc: sdc1 sdc2 sdc3
    change_root: old root has d_count=3 < ============= Note the count!
    Freeing unused kernel memory: 80k freed

    At one time d_count meant something. Then there were changes.
    Then more changes. This might have something to do with the
    dangling references that can kill.

    The `mount` command, nor its internal mount(2) doesn't enter into
    this at all. There were no command-scripts that executed the
    change_root. This is all part of the built-in initial RAM Disk

    The problem is, simply, once you have booted a system using the
    RAM Disk, don't expect to ever use the RAM disk again. Writes
    to this, even though not currently mounted, can (will) make a mess
    of your file-systems, even those which are not mounted.
    This is simply a bug that should be fixed. It's not somebody
    trying to do something for which the system was not designed.

    Dick Johnson

    obtained from the Micro$oft help desk.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:29    [W:0.023 / U:14.020 seconds]