SubjectRe: Microsoft begining to open source Windows 2000?
Date
On Fri, 09 Mar 2001, Rogier Wolff wrote:
>Jesse Pollard wrote:

>> >Does making a patch necessarily require modifying the source code?
>> >Back in my days as a mainframe systems programmer (ICL VME/B), most OS
>> >patches were made to the binary image, either in the file or to the
>> >loaded virtual memory image.
>
>> Nearly always. The problem is that the patch may make the module
>> bigger/smaller or relocate variables whose address then changes. All
>> locations that these are referenced must be modified (either direct
>> address or offset). Sometimes other modules will get relocated too.
>
>You're too young. Or I'm too old. :-)

Neither - we've both been there.

>IF your patch can be inserted into the code space available: Then good.
>If not, you move the code out of the previously allocated space, and
>put it somewhere else. Put a "jump" instruction in the old place.

Only if you generate your patch in assembler.... and there is somewhere
else to put the real module...

>At the university there was a lab-assignment where we had to use the
>provided semaphore routines. Turns out we found a bug. The TA then
>told us it was going to be hard-to-fix, as about 8192 bytes of the 8k
>PROM were in use. He was wrong. The bug was one instruction too
>many. We just wrote "nop" over the bad instruction. The processor had
>also been correctly designed: you could overwrite any instruction in
>the PROM with "nop", as the NOP instruction was 0xff. Fixed on the
>spot!

Congratulations - We used to do similar things to change the baud
rate of serial interfaces (though overwriting core memory was much
easier).