SubjectRe: kernel lock contention and scalability

Manfred Spraul [] wrote:
> > lock contention work would be appreciated. I'm aware of timer scalability
> > work ongoing at, but is anyone
> > working on reducing sem_ids contention?
> Is that really a problem?
> The contention is high, but the actual lost time is quite small.

I agree it isn't a major performance problem under that workload. But, I
thought since the contention was high that other workloads which may
utilize it more might have shown it to be a significant problem.

> I've attached 2 changes that might reduce the contention, but it's just
> an idea, completely untested.

Thanks for the insight into the sempahore subsystem and the suggested fixes.

Jonathan Lahr
IBM Linux Technology Center
Beaverton, Oregon