    SubjectRe: Disturbing news..
    Ben Ford wrote:

    > There are two problems I see here. First, there are several known ways
    > to elevate privileges.
    Fixable, except from guessing the root password which is hard.

    > If a virus can elevate privileges, then it owns
    > you. Second, this is a multi-OS virus. If you dual-boot into Windows,
    > any ELF files accessible can be infected. With this one, that isn't a
    > prob, but when somebody codes in an ext2 driver to their virus, then
    > we've got issues.

    And the only cure then is not make your linux fs accessible from
    windows. I.e. not on a disk for which windows have a driver
    installed. Preferably not the same computer.

    Or simply "don't run untrusted executables under windows". Do
    so in linux only, where protection applies. Do anybody ever
    _need_ to run a program they got in the mail?

    Helge Hafting

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:18    [W:0.021 / U:88.912 seconds]