SubjectRe: kernel apm code
David Balazic <> writes:

> John Fremlin wrote:
> >
> > David Balazic <> writes:

> > The maintainer hasn't the time to do it. He promised me he would in
> > February, when I telephone, but hasn't bothered to do anything
> > AFAICS. I hacked together the following patch for it a while ago,
> > which updated APM_IOC_REJECT for slightly more recent kernels (be
> > warned, I think I made some mistakes)
> It uses the same version number ( 1.15 ) as the "official" apm.c (
> at ). I don't think that is a good idea. Maybe
> 1.14b ?

Well it's not going to go anywhere unless you want to look after it so
there's not much point in worrying about that :-)

> > I made a (IMHO) better version called pmpolicy, based on different
> > principles. More information is available at
> >

> To implement off-button you only need the APM_IOC_REJECT ioctl and

The problem on my computer with my (re)implementation of
APM_IOC_REJECT is that the screen goes into powersaving when the user
suspend is received, then turns it back on when APM_IOC_REJECT is sent
by apmd. Stephen said this was something wrong with my implementation
(???). Anyway it is fixed in my pmpolicy patch, and I don't need no
daemon so the code is a lot cleaner and simpler (no binary magic
number interfaces).