SubjectRe: Ideas for the oom problem
--On Wednesday, March 28, 2001 09:38:04 -0500 Hacksaw <hacksaw@hacksaw.org>
wrote:
> Deciding what not to kill based on who started it seems like a bad idea.
> Root can start netscape just as easily as any user, but if the choice of
> processes to kill is root's netscape or a user's experimental database,
> I'd want the netscape to go away.

root does not use netscape -FULLSTOP-

Anyone working as root is (sorry) an idiot! root's processes are normally
quite system-relevant and so they should never be killed, if we can avoid
it.
There can however be processes owned by other users which shouldn't be
killed in OOM-Situation, but generally root's processes are more important
than a normal user's processes.
What about doing something really critical to avoid the upcoming OOM-situ
and get your shell killed because you were to slow?

--
Andreas Rogge <lu01@rogge.yi.org>
Available on IRCnet:#linux.de as Dyson