    SubjectRe: OOM killer???
    Martin Dalecki writes:
    > Ingo Oeser wrote:
    > > So as Rik stated: The OOM killer cannot suit all people, so it
    > > has to be configurable, to be OOM kill, not overkill ;-)
    > Irony: Why then not store this information permanently - inside
    > the UID of the application?

    Because in some cases (large companies and such) the UID is centrally
    controlled across all machines in the company, so there are > 100 (or
    500 or 1000) "system" UIDs. At one company I did work for, there were
    dozens (maybe > 100) oracle instances alone (each with different UID
    and passwords for security), and lots more "system" application UIDs,
    each unique.

    Encoding more information into the UID is getting back to the bad old
    days of "uid 0" is can do anything, rather than the capability model we
    are working towards. Even so, encoding process killability info in the
    UID is _still_ not putting policy in user space, because if you don't
    like how the OOM killer works you still need to recompile and reboot.

    Having a configurable OOM killer is not overkill, IMHO, because it is
    only called in very rare cases (i.e. OOM is hopefully a rare event),
    so it is definitely not on the fast path. I'm sure people will agree
    that spending a few extra cycles to kill the correct process is far
    better than killing a lot of incorrect processes quickly.

    Every time this subject comes up, I point to AIX and SIGDANGER - a signal
    sent to processes when the system gets OOM. If the process has registered
    a SIGDANGER handler, it has a chance to free cache and such (or do a clean
    shutdown), otherwise the default signal handler will kill the process.

    SIGDANGER would fix the original problem (killing numerical methods
    application running for weeks) perfectly - the application can freely
    allocate cache memory to speed up the calculations. When system gets
    OOM (for whatever reason), it sends SIGDANGER to applications first and
    they can free buffers or do safe shutdown, and this may get system out
    of OOM case without having to kill anything.

    Granted, I'm not against fixing the VM to reducing OOM conditions in the
    first place. Having SIGDANGER still gives the application a chance to
    save itself before it is killed, which none of the OOM changes have
    addressed at all. It is _still_ possible to get a system into OOM from
    network buffers and such, regardless of whether an application is
    calling malloc() returns NULL or not.

    Also, having a SIGDANGER handler _could_ reduce a process "badness"
    value when looking for processes to SIGKILL, when calling all of the
    SIGDANGER handlers has not freed enough memory to get out of OOM. This
    assumes that programs which register SIGDANGER handlers are important,
    rather than malicious (in which case your system has other problems).

    Cheers, Andreas
    Andreas Dilger \ "If a man ate a pound of pasta and a pound of antipasto,
    \ would they cancel out, leaving him still hungry?" -- Dogbert

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:17    [W:0.026 / U:3.940 seconds]