    SubjectRe: CML1 cleanup patch
    "Eric S. Raymond" wrote:
    > Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@mandrakesoft.com>:
    > > FWIW I am opposed to any large-scale cleanup of the configuration
    > > language and/or identifiers in -any- 2.4.x series kernel.
    >
    > This is tweaking 39 symbols out of 1831, hardly large-scale. These
    > irregularities in the namespace cause trouble out of all proportion to
    > their size, is my problem. If you knew what I've been through trying
    > to write analysis tools...*shudder*...

    They cause trouble for you, solely, at the moment. Changing the CML1
    namespace potentially causes trouble for many people.

    > > Not only C code but installer utilities are affected by changes in the
    > > CONFIG_xxx identifiers. If we change that namespace, we are changing
    > > part of the API that is exported to drivers. Definitely not 2.4.x
    > > stuff.
    >
    > My patch fixes those installer utilities. All three of them. And no driver
    > code is or possibly could be broken by it, that's a red herring. *No
    > object code will change as a result of this patch*.

    You updated Linux-Mandrake's kernel RPM and Linux-Mandrake's installer?
    Cool!

    > I want this in before the 2.5 fork for several reasons:
    >
    > (1) 19 of the 39 changes fix things that are outright bugs even in CML1.
    > These should not be allowed to persist in the stable branch.

    Please post a patch with only these 19 changes, and make sure to CC it
    to linux-kernel.

    Thanks,

    Jeff

    --
    Jeff Garzik | May you have warm words on a cold evening,
    Building 1024 | a full moon on a dark night,