    SubjectRe: regression testing
    nbecker@fred.net wrote:

    > Hi. I was wondering if there has been any discussion of kernel
    > regression testing. Wouldn't it be great if we didn't have to depend
    > on human testers to verify every change didn't break something?
    IMHO, much of the strength of Linux is the very large, extremely
    diverse population of folks using it, testing it, beating on
    the latest release, etc.

    However, a lab dedicated to testing the linux kernel, properly
    funded, staffed, and containing the most common hardware and
    software would be a good idea. Does anyone have any idea how
    this could be accomplished? Who could do it? IBM? What would
    it cost to setup a reasonable lab? My guess would be dozens
    of machines of various architectures, a staff of at least 10,
    several thousand square feet of space, and a good budget....
    Any takers?

    Much of the kernel COULD be tested such as file systems, network
    stack, SMP, compile options on various platforms, etc. More
    obscure hardware, some older hardware, etc., would be out of
    scope for such an effort.

    Cheers,
    --
    W. Wade, Hampton <whampton@staffnet.com>
    If Microsoft Built Cars: Every time they repainted the