From: Jamie Lokier <lk@tantalophile.demon.co.uk>
To: Parity Error <bootup@mail.ru>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 15:04:25 +0100
Subject: Re: switch_to()/doesnt %esp get replaced with %ebp on ret

=
=That's not nice code from the compiler (suboptimal), but it'll work.
=leal -24(%ebp),%esp is perfectly ok in the epilogue of a function.
=You're right that %esp is lost -- in this case, %ebp has effectively the
=same information.
=
=Think like this: a perfectly normal function (without switch_to) can
=have this:
=
=f: pushl %ebp
= movl %esp,%ebp
= pushl %ebx
= ... do stuff, decrement %esp a lot to call functions etc. etc. ...
= movl -4(%ebp),%esp
= popl %ebx
= popl %ebp
= ret
=
=Parity Error wrote:
=> in schedule(), switch_to() macro changes esp to
=> the new process's stack. But, on exit frm schedule,
=> how come it does not get overwritten with ebp-24,
=> as the dissasembled code shows. The code was compiled
=> without the -fomit-frame-pointer.
=>
=> pushl 508(%ecx)
=> jmp __switch_to
=> 1: popl %ebp
=> popl %edi
=> popl %esi
=>
=> jmp .L1180
=>
=> .L1180:
=> leal -24(%ebp),%esp
=> popl %ebx
=> popl %esi
=> popl %edi
=> movl %ebp,%esp
=> popl %ebp
=> ret
=

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:29    [W:0.156 / U:0.148 seconds]