    SubjectRe: kernel 2.4.2 network performances
    On Thu, 15 Mar 2001, Jerome Tollet wrote:

    > Hello, i have a problem with the network layer of linux kernel 2.4.2
    > I wrote a minimalist program which basically sends UDP datagrams over
    > the network in an infinite loop.
    > Under Linux 2.2.x, this program floods the network and my xosview prints
    > that 12 MB/s are sent over my 100Mbit ethernet.
    > Under Linux 2.4.2, this program can't flood the network because my
    > xosview (the same ;-) ) tells me that 4.6MB/s are sent over my ethernet
    > although my cpu is not overloaded.
    > I think that Linux 2.4.2 limits the rate of packets sent over the
    > network with some soft parameters.
    > *Does anyone have any idea ?
    > *Could someone explains me the new
    > /proc/sys/net/core/{hot_list_length|no_cong|no_cong_thresh|mod_cong|lo_cong}
    > parameters ?
    > *Where could i see in the code this soft limits ?

    Yesterday I discovered that the load I can throw out to network seems to
    depend on other activities running on machine. I was able to get
    throughput of 33M/s with ATM when machine was idle, while I compiled
    kernel at same time, the throughput was 135M/s.

    So, I suggest you try to compile kernel while running your UDP stream!

    - Sampsa Ranta

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:22    [W:0.020 / U:35.424 seconds]