    SubjectRe: Linux 2.4.2ac20
    David Balazic wrote:

    > Nathan Walp wrote:
    > >
    > > David Balazic wrote:

    > > > SCSI adapters are enumerated randomly(*) , relying on certain numbering
    > > > will get you into trouble, sooner or later.
    > > > There is no commonly accepted solution, AFAIK.
    > > > The same thing can happent to disk enumeration ( sdb becomes sdc )
    > > > or partition enumeration ( hda6 becomes hda5 ).
    > > >
    > > > * - theoreticaly no, but practicaly yes ( most of the time )
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > David Balazic
    > > > --------------
    > > > "Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted
    > > > - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    > >
    > > SCSI adapters are given host numbers in a random order? Even with no
    > > hardware changes? Does this make less than sense to anyone else? Every
    > > kernel EVER up till now has had the real scsi cards (in some particular
    > > order) then ide-scsi. Have I just been lucky???
    > >
    > > Nathan
    >
    > What I mean that too many factors are affecting the enumeration,
    > so that you can not rely on it :
    >
    > - kernel changes
    > - driver changes ( partly overlaps with the previous poit )
    > - hardware changes
    > - something else ?
    >
    > There is no policy for this enumeration ( AFAIK ) , so there is
    > nothing to rely on , except luck :-)

    See, that all makes sense. You can't depend on hardware to detect in
    the same order, whether it's SCSI cards, network cards, or anything
    really. But the software psuedo-device that is ide-scsi, shouldn't that
    pick a spot before or after the hardware and stay there? That's my
    point, i guess.

    Nathan

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:29    [W:6.117 / U:0.108 seconds]