    SubjectRe: system call for process information?
    Nathan Paul Simons writes:
    > On Mon, Mar 12, 2001 at 09:21:37PM +0000, Guennadi Liakhovetski wrote:

    >> CPU utilisation. Each new application has to calculate it (ps, top, qps,
    >> kps, various sysmons, procmons, etc.). Wouldn't it be worth it having a
    >> syscall for that? Wouldn't it be more optimal?
    > No, it wouldn't be worth it because you're talking about
    > sacrificing simplicity and kernel speed in favor of functionality.
    > This has been know to lead to "bloat-ware". Every new syscall you

    Bloat removal: being able to run without /proc mounted.

    We don't have "kernel speed". We have kernel-mode screwing around
    with text formatting.

    > add takes just a little bit more time and space in the kernel, and
    > when only a small number of programs will be using it, it's really
    > not worth it. This time and space may not be large, but once you
    > get _your_ syscall added, why can't everyone else get theirs added
    > as well? And so, after making about a thousand specialized syscalls
    > standard in the kernel, you end up with IRIX (from what I've heard).

    This isn't just for him. Many people have wanted it.

    > Don't even get me started about opening security holes, and
    > increasing code complexity. Please do a search for every other

    I'll get you started. Compare:

    1. variable-length ASCII strings with undefined ad-hoc syntax
    2. array of fixed-size (64-bit) values

    > ps - CPU time is cheap, that's why they don't charge for it anymore.
    > Programmer time is _not_.

    Parsing costs programmer time.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:29    [W:0.026 / U:52.480 seconds]