    SubjectRe: Rename all derived CONFIG variables
    Keith Owens wrote:
    > In 2.4.2-ac18 there are 130 CONFIG options that are always derived from
    > other options, the user has no control over them. It is useful for the
    > kernel build process to know which variables are derived and which
    > variables the user can control. There are also 6 CONFIG options that
    > are not used anywhere.
    > is a 583,904 byte (unzipped) 114,291 (gzipped) patch which removes the
    > unused variables and renames the 130 derived variables from CONFIG_FOO
    > to CONFIG_FOO_DERIVED. The affected variables are :-

    Not only do I think that CONFIG_xxx_DERIVED needlessly extends the name
    of derived vars, but your patch does not belong in a stable series.
    Derived CONFIG_xxx vars are likely to be referenced in source. Changing
    those vars in the middle of a stable series pointlessly breaks external
    source code.

    I hope vendors don't start applying this patch...

    Jeff Garzik | "You see, in this world there's two kinds of
    Building 1024 | people, my friend: Those with loaded guns
    MandrakeSoft | and those who dig. You dig." --Blondie

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:29    [W:0.050 / U:0.148 seconds]