    SubjectRe: some char * optimizations in kernel
    >> Furthermore, in the "char *"-case the pointer is stored in memory.
    >
    >It has to be, no matter of optimalization level. Some other module
    >might access that variable. You _could_ do static const char *..., but
    >it would probably not help.
    I know that the pointer is NEEDED (from the compilers pov); what I don't
    know is whether it has any ill side-effects to change it to a char [].
    Most of this stuff is a version-string outputted at initialization time and
    is not needed any more (afaik) but, as you noted, sometimes it could be
    used by modules.

    IIRC it doesn't matter if a symbol points to a pointer or an array - the
    symbol is resolved either way.
    BUT, if there is something that absolutly EXPECTS this as a pointer - is
    this replaced in memory by insmod/modprobe on every occasion?

    Well, just as well, I'll make a patch and post it.

    >> And, btw too, where can I find a maintainer of a specific file? eg., one of
    >> these cases is in init/version.c which has "Copyright (C) 1992 Theodore
    >> Ts'o" - but I have to guess it's tytso@valinux.com.
    >> Is there something like Documentation/maintainers?
    >
    >It is something like MAINTAINERS in root.
    Thanks!

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:17    [W:0.025 / U:119.556 seconds]