    SubjectRe: [ANOMALIES]: 2.4.2 - __alloc_pages: failed - Causes more then just msgs
    It may not be an important message but what does happen is /dev/dsp becomes
    hung and no sound works after the fault. So something is definately wrong.

    Marcelo Tosatti wrote:

    > On Mon, 26 Feb 2001, Alan Cox wrote:
    > > > We can add an allocation flag (__GFP_NO_CRITICAL?) which can be used by
    > > > sg_low_malloc() (and other non critical allocations) to fail previously
    > > > and not print the message.
    > >
    > > It is just for debugging. The message can go. If anytbing it would be more
    > > useful to tack Failed alloc data on the end of /proc/slabinfo
    > The issue is not the warn message.
    > Non critical allocations (such as this case of sg_low_malloc()) are trying
    > to get additional memory to optimize things -- we want the allocator to be
    > lazy and fail previously instead doing hard work. If kswapd cannot keep up
    > with the memory pressure, we're surely in a memory shortage state.
    > Its better to get out of the memory shortage instead running into OOM
    > because of some optimization, I guess.
    > Another example of such a flag is swapin readahead.

    Hugged a Tux today? (tm)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:17    [W:0.023 / U:3.428 seconds]