    SubjectRe: New net features for added performance
    Chris Wedgwood wrote:
    > That said, it would be an extemely neat thing to do from a technical
    > perspective, but I don't know if you would ever get really good
    > performance from it.

    Well, you'd have to re-design the networking code to support NUMA
    architectures, with a fairly fine granularity. I'm not sure you'd gain
    anything except possibly for the forwarding fast path.

    A cheaper, and probably more useful possibility is hardware assistance for
    specific operations. E.g. hardware-accelerated packet classification looks
    interesting. I'd also like to see hardware-assistance for shaping on other
    media than ATM.

    - Werner

    / Werner Almesberger, ICA, EPFL, CH /

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:17    [W:0.019 / U:18.376 seconds]