SubjectRe: New net features for added performance
Chris Wedgwood wrote:
> That said, it would be an extemely neat thing to do from a technical
> perspective, but I don't know if you would ever get really good
> performance from it.

Well, you'd have to re-design the networking code to support NUMA
architectures, with a fairly fine granularity. I'm not sure you'd gain
anything except possibly for the forwarding fast path.

A cheaper, and probably more useful possibility is hardware assistance for
specific operations. E.g. hardware-accelerated packet classification looks
interesting. I'd also like to see hardware-assistance for shaping on other
media than ATM.

- Werner

/ Werner Almesberger, ICA, EPFL, CH /